Monday, November 24, 2008

Bedtime Stories

I am still in shock! After bathing the kids and getting ready for story time Eliana had a little story for me. The dialog goes as follows: "Mommy, the other day a boy kissed me on the bus." "WHAT?" "He kissed me 2 times." "REALLY" "On the lips." "Seriously?" I tried not to sound so traumatized and keep my cool so she would tell me more. I asked how old he is. "He's in pre-K too. He sits next to me everyday." " Is there anyone else that sits with you? "Yes, an older boy." I asked if he was nice and she said yes he was nice. After she finished her story I told her that he shouldn't have kissed her. The only boys she is allowed to kiss are her baby brothers and her Daddy. I showed her how to cover her mouth and shake her head and say NO if any boy tries to kiss her again. I told her that kissing is only for grown ups. AHHHHH...she is too young to have boys kissing on her. I for sure thought this wouldn't happen until 1st grade or something. She has told me stories before of this boy pinching her and messing around but she didn't sound bothered or bullied so I didn't read too much into it. Most 5 year olds that sit next to each other for 30 mins are bound to poke and tease a little. If she comes home with any more stories about this boy I will have to talk to the bus driver to have them separated. This is what terrifies me about the BUS. I guess I can't be with her every waking moment or always have her supervised so now I have to start teaching her right from wrong on many topics. Things I thought could wait a year or two.

Any advice? I worry about what type of things are being said or told to her. What she is learning when grown ups aren't around. I am NOT looking forward to this stuff in teenage years. I hope I don't screw up as a mom. This is my full time job and I HAVE to do it right. 5...I can't believe it!!!!!

2 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

We had this bizarre grandchild of our neighbor who used to try and kiss Logan when he was 3 or 4. She was a year or two older. And we caught them kissing on the lips once. Totally traumatized me. I told him the same things you told your daughter and I never let her in the house again.
I'd talk to the bus driver and keep them separated.

Lisa Brown said...

At least she isn't the one doing the kissing :). Lily was getting in trouble for kissing boys at school, and when I reminded her that we only kiss boys in our family, she said to me, "But mom, they are my brother's from another family." I never thought that teaching her we are all children of god would have such repricussions :).