Saturday, August 02, 2008

Jekyll Island


We had a great time today at Jekyll Island. When we got there we drove around the little island to see the sights. Then we went to lunch at a restaurant on the Pier. Tristan was behaving oddly. He didn't want to sit with us and he was going to the other side of the room and hiding under the tables on the floor. I must have tried getting him to come sit down and behave for 15 mins before I just gave up and said Whatever! No one else was sitting in the up stairs area we were in so he wasn't bothering anyone but ME. He eventually got over what ever he was feeling. Strange kid. Then we went to the Sea Turtle Center. I was surprised at how interested the kids were in the exhibits. They stayed in the small room for 30-45 mins just looking at all the turtle stuff. Then we went outside to the hospital part. It was sad to see so many turtles that had been severely injured. most by boat propellers. Jekyll Island is a habitat for sea turtles and they are everywhere. I was SO hoping to see one out on the beach but no such luck.


We finally went to the beach. We picked a perfect spot right next to the sand bar. We could walk out forever and the water was till at our ankles. Which made it perfect for the kids to play in. Eliana has reached the age where she constantly BUGS me with " Are we there YET?" The whole way down, and the whole time before we got to the beach. The beach was beautiful and hot! I went over Tristan twice with sunscreen but forgot to do Eli a second time and she got burned pretty good. Their favorite part was picking up shells and sand dollars. We must have brought home 10 sand dollars. Call us killers but they were all alive. Eliana was holding a sand dollar like it was a trophy and when Grandpa said it was alive she jumped, squealed and dropped it in the water. So funny to see. Then we were walking in shallow water when the tide was out and there were little tube like sea life sticking out of the sand. When Eli looked down and saw that she was standing on them and they looked like aliens coming out of the sand she FREAKED out and hoped up and down like a monkey. She was very scared. I pulled a few out of the sand and showed her and they are only an inch long and look like a miniature straw. She was still creped out about walking on them. Tristan LOVED playing in the water. He sat down and that was that. He laid and kicked, crawled and splashed. He and Zach had a blast playing in the mini waves. But poor Tristan got stung by something. There were jelly fish everywhere. I stepped on one and nothing happened to me but I think he may have grazed one while sitting in the water. He had a red mark on his back about an inch by 2 inches.


When we were all packed up and headed back to the truck I couldn't find me keys. I looked in all the bags, pockets of the stroller and all over the sand. I said a quick prayer. Tristan looked at me and said "mom, why are you praying?" I said sometimes it is good to pray when you need help. And I need help finding my keys so we aren't stuck here at the beach. So I was off backtracking and soon after I left mom felt prompted to look in the stroller again and found them in my short pocket. But the good part was I experienced a magical moment all to myself on the beach. The wind picked up very strong and the beach was empty of people. The wind was coming from my back and the sand was blowing so fast and strong across the beach that it looked like a soft cloud was racing by my feet. It was awesome! I wish I had my camera for the picture but I would have hated to get all that sand in my new camera.

I for sure thought the kids were going to sleep on the way home but they played I spy and other games to keep them occupied. When we got home Eliana was the one to act out from tiredness. Poor thing was mad because Tristan got the pink washcloth and she wanted it. She was crying in her bed and said " I never get pink! I've never gotten pink!" I looked at her like she was crazy and then teased her saying what color is your bed? your pj's? your blanket? etc...she started laughing and smirking because she got my point. As soon as I kissed them goodnight they were out. I am hoping for a long nights sleep.

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

I love Jekyll Island - it is so much nicer than Tybee, just because of the atmosphere alone. That is where I took my parents too :). Great minds think alike - he he! Sorry about Tristan getting stung.