Saturday, June 14, 2008

Brought to TEARS

Today has been awful! The morning started out the same as most mornings. After I talked to Chris on the phone I went to the bathroom and as I was pulling up my shorts my phone that was in my back pocket fell right into the toilet. I immediately reached in and pulled it out, took it apart and blow dried it. With NO luck it wouldn't turn on and was making awful beeping noises. The screen was fogging over and I knew it was toast. The strange thing is that my mom dropped her phone in the toilet a few months back.

From then the day went down hill. Eli and Tristan were pushing all my buttons. I held on with as much patience as I possibly could. They were both being defiant, disrespectful and down right rotten. I was trying to leave the house so we could run some errands. When I would ask Eliana to put her shoes on she would flubber her tongue at me and laugh maliciously. Tristan and her were fighting all morning long and nothing I said or did encouraged them to stop or make correct choices. They simply wouldn't listen or obey me. When I told them not to do something they would do it anyway and laugh. If this is a sign of what the teenage years are going to be like then I am in serious trouble. I started to feel like a terrible mother. It must be my fault, some way of parenting that I am falling short. I feel so defeated and I am at a loss as to how I can turn things around. I am probably making things sound worse than they are. I do have descent kids and I have seen much worse. It is just hard to see things the way they are when I want something totally different. I am always trying to teach the kids to communicate better instead of acting out in the moment. I tell them optional things to say to each other that might get them what they want instead of screaming or being spiteful. When things are chaotic and the kids can't work things out on their own I ask them to both come to me so we can work it out. All I get out of them is a turned up nose and an uninterested audience that just can't see past their own needs and desires. I was sitting on the couch feeding a baby and just started to cry.

I guess I am allowed to cry every once and awhile. And MOM don't freak out! Remember I am Survivor house mom. Not all my days are so overwhelming. I am open for advice on how to turn my kids behavior around. When I have time I read my Dr Sears book but lately I have been in a dilemma about priorities. OK, I can't make this post too long or no one will read it.


So we finally got out of the house and I had to stop at my friends house to pick up Tristans shoes. I ended up leaving Eli and Tristan there to play while I went to get a new phone. Thankfully they just put in a new AT&T store just up the road. The lady working there was great! She was a manager who started the store and knew all the loops. She ended up getting me a technology upgrade with no fees. All I had to do was pay for the phone. It was $100 with a $50 rebate. I got the new Sony Ericson walkman in pink. My mother-in-law has the same phone and she loves it. I was excited about my new phone. When I got home I was trying to take the cover off the back and the battery came flying out. I put it back in and the phone wouldn't turn on!!! Without further details. The lady might come in to the store tomorrow when it is closed to trade it out or I might have to wait until Monday. As if my day couldn't get any worse.

I am alive and well. All my kids are in bed asleep. I am going to wash bottles and crawl into bed.

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

Oh, Jen. I am so sorry. I think all of us have those days when the only thing we can do is cry. I'm glad we got together today, and sometime soon I will have to make the trek out to your place.