
Yes, I am weaning the babies. It has been an emotional few days. After the babies Dr visit I tried feeding Soren On-Demand instead of the 3 hour schedule they have been on. It really messed things up. Now I know why all moms of multiples say you have to be on a schedule. I had crying babies every hour acting hungry. I don't know if timing was coincidental but it seemed that I wasn't producing enough milk to meet their growing appetite. It has been a sad yet exciting feeling. I am sad that I can't nurse them as long as I hoped but I am SO looking forward to the freedoms of bottle feeding. Trust me when I say I know and believe in ALL the benefits of breast feeding. However, I feel a huge relief to not be tied down. Not to be the only one who can fill that need.
I feel like a brand new mother. I have never bottle fed before. It may seem silly to say that I am a little nervous to get it right. Which formula is the best? What bottles are the best. What nipples (flow) do my babies need? How many ounces should they be taking in? IT is all new to me. Breastfeeding was easy in the sense that I didn't have to think that much about it.
I am hoping that I can have them completely weaned before next Monday the 12th when we leave for Disney World. This is my idea: Today I have been alternating breastfeeding and bottle feeding. Tomorrow and Tuesday I am going to nurse every third feeding. Then on Wed. every 4th feeding. I am really hoping I don't get any clogged ducts or mastitis. If you have any advice on a better way to wean please post and let me know.
Wish me luck as I welcome stinkier diapers, smellier spit-ups and bottles out the wazoo to clean. As if I don't clean a million sippy cups every day!!
1 comment:
I know how hard of a decision this must be for you. But I also know what kind of pressure you must be under. You will know what is best for you and your family.
I am not sure if I would wean quite so quickly. I finished nursing Elaina when she was 14 months old and I was down to 1 feeding a day and I still got mastitis. I had only had it one time with Samantha when she was 1 month old. So I had only thought that it could happen to moms with newborns, but if you feel like your milk is already drying up, then I think your body will adjust, just be mindful of your body. And for heaven's sake ask for help if you need us! We may not have twins but we are still moms and KNOW what you are going through. Hope you enjoy Disney World.
Leslie
Post a Comment