There is no feeling worse than thinking I will lose one of my children...
Soren had his immunizations Tuesday morning. He started running a fever, which is common. Wednesday afternoon his fever started to spike up to 104. I took him into his Peds doctor and everything was perfect except for his high fever. She said to keep him on Tylenol and Motrin. We came home, fixed dinner and started to get ready for bed. As soon as I laid him on the bed to change he started shaking violently, rolled his eyes to the back of his head and went completely limp. I immediately called 911 for an ambulance. I was terrified that he was dieing. I didn't know what was happening to him. His lips and face started to turn blue. I couldn't give CPR because his heart was beating extremely fast and it was hard to tell if the little guy was breathing or not. My neighbor came over just as he was coming out of it. Soon after the ambulance showed up. It took them 7 mins to get to my house ( I was told the national average is 8 mins, so not too bad). His vitals were fine and he seemed to be getting back to normal, except for his high fever. The ER was a traumatic experience for him. He kept jerking every time they tried to get the IV in. Then on the way to X-Ray the IV came out and he bled all over me. He had to draw urine and blood. All the test came back negative for any type of infection. His fever was due to the immunizations. The seizure was cause by the rapid increase in fever in a short amount of time. With a lot of help from great friends we got home around 2:30am. He was so exhausted from this experience that he crashed out until morning. I have to keep him on a 3 hour rotation of meds and we are going back for a follow up this morning.
Even though it was something that didn't cause any permanent damage to Soren, it still scared me to death! It aroused so many emotions and it also revealed how I react in an emergency. I think I did most everything right but it makes me question if I am knowledgeable enough to handle emergency situations that could determine my child's health or even life.
A HUGE thank you to my neighbor Patty for coming over to stay with the kids then drive all the way out to the hospital to pick me up. Also to Marilyn for taking over at home and staying so late. It is comforting to know I have such wonderful friends.
BTW, if you are wondering where Chris is...he is in AZ for flight training and today he goes to Dallas for simulator time. It figures that things like this would happen while he is gone.
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
that must have been so scary for you. I am glad he is o.k.
Of course he was gone.That is how it always is.
I am glad to hear the little guy is doing better! Doesn't everything happen when the guys are gone? I am glad you handled it so well. My prayers will be with you too.
Post a Comment