Sunday, March 08, 2009

I am NOT a Doctor!


I will make this brief since my last two posts have been long. Today Soren broke out in a rash which immediately explained EVERYTHING! Soren had Roseola. Eliana had it when she was a baby so I know all about it. I am a little annoyed that the Doctors nor I thought of it. Basically Roseola is a virus that is not very contagious. It's incubation period is 9-11 days then a high fever lasts for 3-5 days.

Can the fever cause a seizure?

Yes. The high fever of roseola may trigger a seizure (a convulsion). Febrile seizures (convulsions due to fever) are common in children between 18 months to 3 years of age. They occur in 5% to 35% of children with roseola.

So there you have it! I was wrong. How VERY odd that after such a long incubation period the fever would show up the very same day he had his immunizations. I am disturbed that the Dr prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection. He told me some craziness about a sinus infection normally turns into a bacterial infection. When am I going to stop being such a push over when it comes to Dr.'s telling me what to do. I regret letting him have all his shots at the same time. I should have spaced them out but I was pushed by the Dr. I just need to think things through before I agree to treatment of my children. Which is never easy when they are rushing you out for the next patient.

Well, that is my ranting about this past week. I truly hope things slow down and life can get somewhat normal around here.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Jen!
HOLY COW...you have been one busy Mama. I don't even want to think about seizures and kids.How scary!
I'm so happy to hear that everything is getting better.
I have always thought that you are an Amazing women, but now I really do think you are Super Human!
You are a great example to me!
Hoping everything gets even better!
LOVES!

Lisa Brown said...

Well, I am glad that you know for sure what it was now, even though it was frustrating for you. And yes, moms should never let doctors push them around.

Oh, and I love that you had the kids help you mop - so fun!