Saturday, September 06, 2008

Barrett's eruption cyst



My poor little Barrett has been teething like crazy. 4 weeks ago he cut his first bottom tooth. The one just next to it looked like it would break through as well but it hasn't. In fact, it has gotten swollen and turned a purplish blue color. My good friend Kayleen's hubby is a dentist and I sent him some pictures of Barrett's mouth. He said it looked like an eruption cyst. So I immediately look it up online and sure enough all the symptoms fit. They say it is fairly common and should resolve on its own. But it has been 3 weeks now. I might call my dentist to see what he has to say.

Online definition:
Eruption cyst/eruption hematoma is a fluctuant, fluid cyst which may appear 2-3 weeks prior to the eruption of a tooth. As the tooth emerges, the cyst may be blood filled and appear blue to purple in color (eruption hematoma). Eruption cysts and eruption hematomas are usually asymptomatic and resolve with eruption of the tooth. The lesions should not be incised as this may increase the potential for infection.

So little guy also has his two top teeth coming in. His top right was a little bloody as I could see the gum breaking for the tooth. The other top tooth will appear any day too. It is not like my twins to cry very much unless something is bothering them. Barrett will be sitting happily then in an instant start to ball his head off. I just feel bad for him. Teething can't be fun at all!

No comments: