Monday, April 27, 2009

Achieving Goals

I was able to experience one of those "proud parent" moments yesterday at church. You know...the kind when you can't stop smiling and your tummy gets excited! Recently our Primary leadership put up a chart to keep track of those who could pass off their 13 Articles of Faith. As soon as Eliana heard about the challenge she wanted to DO IT! So every night we practiced an article of faith and the following Sunday she passed it off and got a sticker on the chart. I could see her beaming with a positive self-concept and the feeling of success. She set the lead in the whole primary and last Sunday was awarded a prize in front of everyone for achieving her half way point. If she wasn't SO shy she would have spouted the fist 7 articles of faith out as fast as she could. I am very proud of my little 5 year old who has a memory just like her daddy's!

When we first started practicing and she was doing so well, I could tell Tristan starting to feel down on himself. We were giving Eliana praise for her success every night at bedtime and Tristan was watching it all silently. I started to give him a little extra attention and tried teaching him the AOF but he didn't show any interest. The Sunday before last when they told Eli she would be awarded her halfway prize Tristan changed his attitude towards the whole thing and made efforts to learn the first AOF. He and Eliana are totally different personality types and this type of stuff doesn't come as easily for him. He gave it his all and passed off his first AOF on Sunday. Not only that, he showed an interest in doing the second. I hope he keeps his motivation and can feel the same success that is so good for building his own self-concept.

Lately I have been making a huge effort in my parenting. It may not be noticeable to others but I have been trying my hardest to not respond to my kids with anger when they make mistakes. Instead, I approach them with love and give out a solid consequence. I can tell a difference in their behavior already. This is a very difficult thing to do and I can't always bridle my anger or frustrations. I have been thinking a lot about their future and how challenging it will be to parent them as teenagers. I really need to shape them NOW and teach them respect, consequence and how to solve their own problems instead of coming to their rescue. I remember walking all over my parents and getting away with so much. I look back and feel awful for the stress I put them through. If only all parents had the resources and took the time to mold their kids at an early age then our society might not be so scary!

Well, I have to say I am very proud of my kids, and my husband for participating every night with the kids. It is a great feeling to have such a united family. Their is no greater love than what we share within our families.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Way to go kids...that is awesome!

Lisa Brown said...

Lily is definitely motivated by Ellie's example :). I am just glad we finally found out about it, because Lily is loving it too, even though we started last week.

And I need to follow your example. My temper has been way too short with my kids lately and I need to respond in a more loving way.